The only way to do great work is to love what you do. -- Steve Jobs
The AquaFit Mechanical Engineering Technician is a skilled professional responsible for mechanical aspects of the
lead-recycling AquaRefining electrolyzer’s output. This professional is required to work on the manufacturing
floor in a lead HazMat environment providing subject matter expertise and troubleshooting with mechanical, stickwelding/
fabrication (stainless steel), and the ability to execute equipment specifications using P&ID; must provide
immediate added value and display the entrepreneurial spirit to advance the vision of this start-up organization.
Position requires three to four years direct experience in a manufacturing setting. Travel is required to work at
client sites domestically and internationally. Proven ability to work safe and experienced using all variety of hand
tools. At least one year of forklift experience is required.
This person must be committed to lead HazMat mitigation practices including wear of full PPE with full-face
respirator (Tyvek suit, hard hat, etc.). Monthly and periodic lead level testing is required, and the highest level of
lead mitigation includes custom mask fit from a medical professional, full shower, and locker room facilities on-site
to decontaminate, as well as ongoing safety training.
This professional must ensure individual and team results within a small, highly collaborative, and results-oriented
team including other technicians, engineers, and high-level leadership. This professional must be results oriented,
able to travel domestically or globally, and at times be able to execute results independently to meet the client leadrecycling
needs. Additional preferred skillsets include some knowledge of chemistry, three to four years of PVC
pipefitting (1/2 inch to 6 inch), and experience with plastic welding. This is an hourly position and will play a key
role leading Aqua Metals to its next level of organizational evolution with goal to increase global lead production
without increasing emissions using AquaRefining.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, RESPONSIBILITIES, & DELIVERABLES:
1. Mechanical deliverables include high-level aptitude, stick welding, reading/executing in accordance with
P&ID. Responsible to repair equipment malfunctions in a timely manner identifying the root cause to find
permanent repairs. Must display mechanical competency and provide building up, tearing down, transport,
installation, and correct problems and inefficiencies with the recycling module. Must understand and apply
proportional-integral-derivative (PID) controller loop mechanisms. Locates sources of problems by observing
mechanical devices in operation, listening for problems, using precision measuring, and testing instruments.
Replace defective parts by dismantling devices using hoists, cranes, and wide range of hand and power tools.
2. Understanding of safety requirement regarding electrical assembly, disassembly, transport, install and
correct basic electrical problems and inefficiencies with the recycling module using appropriate tools and meters.
Understand electrical distribution components (switchgear, panelboards, transformers, other electrical components).
Correctly identify voltage and current nomenclature on equipment. Safely troubleshoot and repair systems using
voltages from 24-, 120-, 277-, and 480-volts AC/DC circuits.
3. Must understand basic operator requirements with programmable logic controller (PLC) using Allen
4. Must accurately execute welding including stick welding (using stainless steel & carbon steel).
Examine components form, structural integrity, and texture of build to identify product defects; complete
appropriate documentation when defects are identified providing solutions.
5. Proficient with reading, interpreting, and executing equipment specifications using P&ID, basic blueprints,
diagrams, engineering drawings, bills of materials, and other instructions to accurately assemble and troubleshoot
equipment. Rework and/or repair assembled equipment and products according to engineering specification
6. Must be able to inspect, install, remove, repair, and replace PVC piping.
7. Safely and efficiently operate forklift to ensure successful deployment of AquaRefining electrolyzer.
8. Apply basic chemistry knowledge.
9. Supporting an engineering department with the operations of equipment.
10. Maintain inventory of product in workstations.
11. Perform quality work checks to ensure the product meets quality standards.
12. Perform all work in accordance with quality standards and established safety procedures
13. Maintain a clean and safe work area
14. Supervisory responsibilities: None
GENERAL FUNCTIONS, RESPONSIBILITIES, & DELIVERABLES:
• SAFETY: always take ownership of and operate safely; be alert, observe, correct, and report unsafe
conditions/incidents; ensure completion and documentation for appropriate task training, such as all
equipment, vehicles, systems, or any safety requirements; comply with safety program. Required to meet
all safety requirements for domestic and international travel, as well as client-site safety requirements.
• MISSION: align all behavior, habits, and actions toward Aqua Metals mission; goal-oriented
• ETHICS: treats people with respect; works ethically with integrity; exercises due diligence
• TEAMWORK: balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others'
views; gives and welcomes constructive feedback; contributes to building a positive and collaborative team
spirit; supports everyone's efforts to succeed; demonstrate professional, solution-oriented demeanor and
communication during all interactions; facilitate communication between all stakeholders
• CULTURE: commit daily to developing a work culture that cultivates trust, collaboration, and results
• PROBLEM SOLVING: works alone or in groups to develop solutions; apply reason and critical thinking
• ATTENDANCE: regular attendance, reporting promptly and appropriately for work, meetings/training,
follow time off procedures
• COMMUNICATION: write/speak clearly and professionally in all situations; participates attentively to
questions and problems with all people; initiate questions and feedback
• demonstrate understanding of company, departmental policies/procedures, as well as adhere to changes;
follow employee handbook, which includes and is not limited to Anti-Bullying, Anti-Harassment, Violence
in the Workplace, and Guidelines for Appropriate Conduct
• follow operating procedures and comply with all regulatory requirements (federal, state, local, other)
• adhere to professional appearance, dress, and uniform standards; always wear appropriate personal
protective equipment (PPE) while on production floor (Tyvek suit)
• complete other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION: To perform
this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements
listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• High School Diploma degree or equivalent experience
• Basic reading skills. Must be able to follow directions.
• Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly
• Ability to apply critical thinking, problem solving, and reasoning; think to produce new concepts/ideas
• High attention to detail and self-motivation skills
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally; ability to meet all requirements for domestic and
• 3-4 years’ experience operating safely in industrial manufacturing setting working with hazardous
• 3-4 years’ mechanical experience in an industrial manufacturing setting.
• 1-year electrical experience in an industrial manufacturing setting.
• (preferred but not required) 1-year human machine interface (HMI) hardware experience and
programmable logic controller (PLC) troubleshooting. Experience with Allen-Bradley or similar software.
• 3-4 years’ experience stick welding using stainless steel in an industrial manufacturing setting.
• 3-4 years’ experience reading and executing equipment builds using P&ID in an industrial manufacturing
• 3-4 years’ experience with PVC installation and repair in industrial manufacturing setting.
• 1-year experience safely operating forklift in an industrial manufacturing setting.
• Basic understanding of chemistry
• 3-4 years’ experience using hand tools; thorough knowledge of tool inspection and safety
• 3-4 years of mechanical assembly experience
• 3-4 years’ experience reading and executing P&ID Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams in industrial
• 3-4 years’ experience forklift, scissor lift, and other similar equipment
• meet physical requirements outlined in physical and work environment requirements listed below.
• SOFTWARE/HARDWARE: Microsoft Office suites; email, internet, adobe, etc., as well as varying
specific company software platforms; computer (desk and laptop), phone, fax, copier, scanner, and other
related office equipment (audio/video/media equipment)
• Basic computer navigation and utilization skills; TYPING/DATA ENTRY of 25 words per minute
• identification that establishes the right to work in the United States; identification that establishes identity